Murdoch & Pitman, Birmingham
This Grade II* Listed building on Corporation Street is in the process of being converted into a hotel, subject to planning. Czero is working in partnership with Trigram Properties and Regal properties on a scheme that will repurpose this fantastic piece of Victorian Birmingham.
The buildings at 155-161 Corporation Street known as ‘Murdoch Chambers’ and ‘Pitman Chambers’, were designed by architects Crouch and Butler, built between 1896 and 1898/9. They were designed as a single architectural composition, beginning with Murdoch Chambers at No.155-157 in 1896 which was purpose-built for A.R. Dean as furniture showrooms, with offices above and a factory and warehouse to the rear. Pitman Chambers, at No.159-161, was taken on during construction by Pitman’s Vegetarian Restaurant and Hotel – not the first, but an early example of its kind, opening in 1898. The buildings were given elaborate Queen Anne Revival façades, each slightly different but forming a cohesive composition, containing a series of sculptures and reliefs, keystoned and recessed openings and a frieze above the ground floor shopfronts depicting carpenters and diners by sculptor Benjamin Creswick .
The project will restore the listed building, with a ground floor reception and communal areas, while adding a new build bedroom wing behind.